My Othermill workflow

I bought an Othermill about a month ago and while I haven’t been using it as much I would have liked, I really do like it. The team at Other Machine Co has done an amazing job making the mill and the software that interfaces with it (Otherplan) very easy to use. I was really surprised, I expected there to be more headaches. However, there is one area where I’ve struggled, with the CAM software. There are basically two options either using some really awful looking but easyish to use Windows software or really complex web based software. I have no ambition to become a machinist. I’m just looking to play around with something new and cutting edge so I really didn’t want to invest a ton of time in learning these really complex pieces of software. My Othermill workflow

projects: restore a g.i. joe warthog

partsAbout a week ago I was making my daily thrift store run when I came across something I never see in the wild, a vintage G.I. Joe vehicle. I have quite a few joes and vehicles but I’ve never been able to find any locally. It wasn’t in terrible shape but it was missing quite a few pieces but for $5 I wasn’t going to leave it behind.

Once I got home I started looking around for the missing parts. I lucked out and found an Ebay seller who agreed to sell me most of the missing parts for $14. I’m not really a guy who is super concerned about something being 100% complete, all I care about it is complete enough for display. So for $19 I got a decent little warthog that I’m happy to have in my collection. Hopefully it’s the first of many I’m able to find locally.

warthog_after

projects: famicom iPhone dock prototype

I’m a tinkerer, I love making things do something they weren’t designed for. So while planning what I want to put in my etsy store I really wanted to create something handmade, something featuring a retro item. Recently I caught the famicom bug and it gave me an idea.

Charging cables, docks, etc are pretty utilitarian but they are something I spend lots of time interacting with so I thought why not infuse a little bit of personality into them with a famicom game. I love famicom carts as they have bright colorful shells and really awesome label art.

piecesThe only thing I wanted to make sure is the whatever I did it was nondestructive, I didn’t want the games ruined in the process. I wanted to be able to take the game off the dock and still be able to play it. So this meant I would have to find a 60 pin connector to hold the game in place. I went looking through my electronics catalogs and finally found some cheap ones from a supplier in Minnesota. I then bought a few really cheap iPhones docks off Ebay and I had all the pieces.

For my proof of concept I just glued the 60 pin connector to the back of the docks and popped the game in. I think it doesn’t look half bad. Later this month I’m going to see about making a model that is a bit more polished to sell in my etsy store. Worse case this will just give me an excuse to buy more famicom games 🙂 .